Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Tue July 12, 2011
Defense wants accused Wheatland shooter evaluated
By Ben Neary, AP
Cheyenne, Wyo. – Lawyers defending a Wheatland man accused of killing his three sons and his brother last week have requested he receive a mental evaluation.
Lawyers with the Wyoming Public Defender's Office filed papers Tuesday asking to suspend court proceedings while Everett Conant III receives an evaluation.
Conant faces murder and attempted murder charges in Thursday's shooting rampage in Wheatland. His wife Suzette Ann Conant was wounded in the attack and was released Monday from a Cheyenne hospital.
If convicted, the 35-year-old could face execution or life in prison without parole.
The clerk of the Platte County Circuit Court, Patti Thompson, says a preliminary hearing set for Thursday will be cancelled.
The Wyoming state public defender, Diane Lozano, declined comment. An attempt to reach Platte County Attorney Eric Jones was unsuccessful.