Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Thu January 7, 2010
Freudenthal's not doing much fundraising
By Renny MacKay
Cheyenne, WY – Filings with the Secretary of State show that Governor Dave Freudenthal has not been doing much fundraising recently. This could be a sign about his plans to run again.
Governor Freudenthal says he is waiting until March before announcing if he is running for re-election this year. He is technically prevented from running again because of term limits, but it is likely the term limit law would not hold up in court if the governor or someone else challenged it.
That means Freudenthal could run again if he wants. But documents show he has only raised about nine thousand dollars over the past two years. In 2005, before mounting his most recent campaign, Freudenthal had raised over 200 thousand dollars. The governor's chief of staff says this shows the governor's current focus is on running the state, not campaigning. He says Freudenthal is leaning against running again, but has not ruled it out. Because of state law, the other prospective candidates for governor did not have to file a statement showing how much they've raised for their campaigns.