General Manager Letter, Fall 2013
Dear WPM Members and Listeners --
Thank you for your dedication and support for Wyoming Public Media! You often hear us say that YOU, the individual, are our most stable source of revenue. I can't stress this point enough. While state and federal funding reacts to the economy, your individual support remains true.
Our goal for the Fall Fund drive is $340,000, and we are looking forward to your help. Increasingly, public radio emerges as one of the few places where people can find intelligent discourse and a strong investment in serving communities. In Wyoming, this service is even more critical because so many of our residents live in remote areas unserved by many other media.
So what can you do to help? Here are some suggestions:
- Make a pledge to WPM. Join the nearly 8,000 individuals who already support this station. You are the “public” in public radio!
- Encourage other listeners to support WPM. Our state network is only as strong as the people who support it.
- Persuade friends who do not support WPM to take the plunge! They just might like that feeling of “doing their part.”
- Consider a sustaining gift - one that reflects how much you rely on our service every month and day of the year. These ongoing commitments allow you to spread out the payments to best meet your budget needs, and empower us to plan ahead; knowing that our programming costs will be met by our generous donors.
- Invest in WPM with a gift of $1200 or more, if you are financially secure and able to share your good fortune. Your generous gift will enable you to enjoy all of the benefits of our Leadership Circle membership. In addition, your donation helps to offset the difference for donors who may be unable to donate as much as they would like.
- Encourage businesses that you frequent to become underwriters or corporate fund drive sponsors. It’s a wonderful promotional opportunity for them, and a great help to WPM. (And when you frequent their business, don’t forget to thank them for their support!)
Here’s what you should NOT do.
- Decide not to pledge because you believe others will. This is wishful thinking, and it’s counterproductive. Imagine what would happen if all WPM listeners had that same thought!
- Assume that your pledge is too small to make a difference. This is totally wrong. Every single dollar funds a portion of the broadcast day, and last time we looked, all dollar bills were created equal. In public radio there is no such thing as a gift that is too small, or a gift that is too large.
And one last thought:
WPM reaches underserved rural areas with programming and services where many broadcasters have no economic incentive to reach. In many areas, WPM provides the only source of local broadcasting. Just ask the late-night driver on the road from Rawlins to Rock Springs!
Strong public radio is a must in Wyoming. WPM needs your help and loyalty!
General Manager, Wyoming Public Media