Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Wyoming Man Wins U.S. Supreme Court Case Concerning Rails To Trails
Sat February 25, 2006
Gillette Man Pleads Guilty In Murder Case
Gillette, Wy – A Gillette man pleaded guilty today
(Friday) to two charges of murder and conspiracy, including the
killing of a witness in a sexual assault case.
In exchange for the guilty pleas and cooperation against three
other defendants, prosecutors agreed to recommend that 20-year-old
Jacob Martinez serve two consecutive life sentences.
The sentencing hearing was NOT immediately scheduled.
Martinez was charged in the murders of 16-year-old Bryce Chavers
last November and 19-year-old Jeremy Forquer (FORK'-er).
Chavers had accused Kent Proffit Senior of sexually assaulting
him, and was scheduled to testify against Proffit at trial. Proffit
faces a conspiracy charge for allegedly ordering Chavers' murder;
he's scheduled to be in court next month.
This morning (Friday), 19-year-old Christopher Hicks was bound
over for trial on the same charges.