Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Sen. Barrasso's Timber Bill Unpopular With Environmentalists And Foresters
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Best of Wyoming
Tue January 14, 2014
The Hoofprints of the Past Museum – Kaycee
The Hoofprints of the Past Museum was founded over 20 years ago by a group of local volunteers to preserve the unique cultural heritage of Kaycee and the surrounding countryside. That unique western history includes:
- The Bozeman Trail
- Early Settlement and Fort Reno
- Native Americans and the Dull Knife Battle
- The Johnson County Cattle War
- Famous Outlaws
The stories of these western events are shared through displays at the museum in an historic building in downtown Kaycee. The museum’s collection includes artifacts from famous local individuals and events, as well as a large number of Native American arrowheads.
Unlike many museums today, Hoofprints of the Past does not hide away its artifacts in storage, but shares them with the public through a number of old-time displays including a:
- School house
- Mercantile Store
- Post Office
- Blacksmith shop
- Sheep Wagon
- Doctor’s buggy
The Museum also has held a number of events for the public that help share local history, such as:
- Western Plays
- Musical Performances
- Historical Presentations and Book Signings
The museum has produced DVD’s of many of these events, which are for sale in the museum store which also carries a large number of books on local history, western posters and art, cards, and t-shirts.
Annually in June, the museum offers a tour to the famous outlaw country known as the Hole in the Wall. Here, outlaws like Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid hid from the law. Tour participants are guided by historical speakers through the scenic countryside of the Hole in the Wall, stopping along the way at various historical sites.
Hoofprints of the Past Museum
P.O. Box 114
344 Nolan Ave.
Kaycee, WY 82639