Cheyenne, Wyo – The Wyoming Department of Health says a Carbon County man may have died this week from hantavirus.
The agency says preliminary results of tests indicate hantavirus.
The disease is spread by deer mice feces or urine. People contract the disease when they breathe in contaminated dust
Clay Van Houten is chief of the emerging diseases section in the state health department's preventive health and safety division.
He says the Carbon County case would be the seventh reported case of hantavirus in Wyoming since 2000.
The disease strikes mostly in rural areas. People working in cabins, sheds and barns usually contract it.
Symptoms start within two to three weeks after exposure and include vomiting, high fever, and flu-like body aches.