Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Wyoming Man Wins U.S. Supreme Court Case Concerning Rails To Trails
Wed April 6, 2005
Senator Northrup Dies
Powell, Wy – State Senator Laness Northrup of Powell has died from cancer. The 72 year old Northrup was a Republican who was elected in 2002. One of his sons, David Northrup, said that his father had been undergoing treatment for colon cancer and that the disease had gone into remission.
However, the elder Northrup developed lung cancer last month and his son says his condition quickly deteriorated.
He died last night (Tuesday) at a Billings, Montana, hospital.
Governor Freudenthal said Northrup was one of the "quiet, steady, reasonable voices" of the Legislature, whose
attitude reflected deeply-held Wyoming values and a great love for the state.
Laness Northrup is survived by his wife, Mary Ann; three sons, William, David and Donald; and several grandchildren.
Services will be held at 2 o'clock Friday afternoon at First United Methodist Church in Powell.