Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Wyoming Man Wins U.S. Supreme Court Case Concerning Rails To Trails
Thu March 31, 2011
Shyatt returns to coach the Cowboys
By Bob Beck
Laramie, WY – After a lengthy search, the University of Wyoming has a new head basketball coach.
Larry Shyatt, who coached Wyoming to a National Invitation Tournament during his one year in Laramie, has signed a five-year contract to return to coach the Cowboys. Shyatt coached Wyoming during the 97-98 season and turned around a team that was just 12 and 16 the year before. The Cowboys were 19-9 under Shyatt, but he was hired away by Clemson. He has been the top assistant coach at Florida for the past seven years, helping the Gators win two national championships during his time there. Shyatt says his one year in Laramie is among his fondest memories in his 30 years of coaching. U-W Athletics Director Tom Burman says that the search committee was impressed by how badly Shyatt wanted to come back to Wyoming. A press conference and a fan reception have been scheduled for next Wednesday in the Wildcatter Suites at the U-W football stadium.