Most Active Stories
Fri December 12, 2003
Snake River Lodge & Spa Trial Continues
Jackson, Wy – A jury was asked Friday to penalize Vail Resorts nearly 61 million dollars for the carbon monoxide poisoning of a couple honeymooning at a Jackson resort.
The poisoning resulted in the death of a North Carolina man.
The penalty would be at the high end of damages sought by 52-year-old Joette Williams and the parents and two children of David Williams.
David Williams died in August 2001 when carbon monoxide from a malfunctioning boiler seeped into the couple's guest room overnight at the Snake River Lodge and Spa near Jackson.
The attorney for Vail Resorts, which owns and operates the lodge through several subsidaries named in the case, suggested that three million dollars was a more appropriate penalty.
The jury of five men and four women received the case on the 18th day of the trial.
Attorneys for the family argued Vail Resorts and its managers of the lodge knew of the boiler problem well in advance and were negligent in not repairing it and warning guests.
Vail's attorney countered that local contractors hired to fix the boiler were to blame and that Vail did not knowingly put any guests or employees at risk.