Most Active Stories
- David Sedaris At The University Of Wyoming
- INSIDE ENERGY: Oil Engineering Boom: Plenty Of Students, Not Enough Teachers
- UPDATED: Judge Strikes Down Wyoming's Same Sex Marriage Ban, Mead Won't Appeal
- Native Bacteria Used To Clean-Up Uranium Mines
- Coalition Of Superintendents Says Lack Of Inflation Adjustments Has Left Wyoming Schools Underfunded
Behind the Scenes
Thu December 5, 2013
UW creative writing class records their work
Jeff Lockwood writes: "In this workshop, we explored a weird and wide array of short forms of the students’ choosing within the genre of non-fiction. We often associate the short form with poetry and fiction. But what about the epitaph, the police blotter, the recipe, the box score, the report card, the seed packet, the rejection letter, the menu, the movie review, the shopping list, the wine label, the headline or the photo caption?
"Students were encouraged to probe the possibilities and test the limits of the short-form as a means of opening creative possibilities and expanding (or exploding) assumptions about seemingly prosaic expressions of our humanity. In the end, their writings were adapted from: the drug label, real estate advertisement, advice column, obituary, recipe, postcard, test, forecast, billboard, credit card statement and map."
Are you a writer or poet? Curious about how to share your work? Contact us to be featured on Spoken Words.