Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Thu February 26, 2009
UW Professor Authors Major UN Report
By Renny MacKay
Laramie, WY – The United Nations has unveiled a new report on how to create jobs, reduce poverty and move the world towards a greener economy. The author of the report is a University of Wyoming professor Ed Barbier. It says that of all the stimulus dollars going out around the globe, one-third of those dollars should be spent on greening the world's economy. Barbier says this should even benefit individuals. "For example in Wyoming we have quite a lot of energy use in the wintertime and if some of the investments in the short run are towards improving energy conservation, retrofitting buildings that should actually benefit people both in their pocketbooks as well as their comfort," Barbier says.
Barbier says that a greener economy would definitely be a boon for Wyoming's wind development, and all sources of energy could benefit from a more efficient and intelligent electrical grid.