Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Sen. Barrasso's Timber Bill Unpopular With Environmentalists And Foresters
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Legislature Passes Grand Teton Land Swap Bill
Wed August 10, 2011
Whole Foods: Ramadan Promotion Has Not Been Canceled
Looking to set the record straight, the Whole Foods grocery chain says it is "still carrying and promoting halal products for those that are celebrating Ramadan this month."
The company's statement follows a Houston Press blog post earlier this week that said pressure from "right-wing bloggers who blindly associate Ramadan and Muslims with terrorism and burqas," had led Whole Foods to send an email "to its stores across the United States in which it specifically tells stores not to promote Ramadan this year."
That's not correct, according to the company's official Twitter page. In a series of tweets it says that:
-- "We never sent a communication from our headquarters requesting stores take down signs or remove parts from this promotion."
-- "We have 12 different operating regions and unfortunately, one region reacted by sending out directions to promote halal and ..."
-- "... not #Ramadan specifically after some negative online comments."
-- "We're extremely excited about offering halal products for our shoppers and we stand behind them AND our promotion of them."