Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Wyoming Man Wins U.S. Supreme Court Case Concerning Rails To Trails
Best of Wyoming
Wed June 27, 2012
Wild West Balloon Fest - Cody (& Region)
The Wild West Balloon Fest draws ballooners from all over the country for a unique festival and competition set in a breathtaking arena. Balloons launch at dawn from a grass covered city park. The public is most welcome to mingle with the pilots and crews-indeed volunteers are welcome to help the crew. The pilots can instruct you on the spot for a new experience and a grand adventure. This is a small, relaxed rally. Safe, conservative flying is their hallmark, fun is the goal.
Nothing can compare to the rush of being in the balloon gondola as it quietly begins to drift above the earth, so make sure you don't miss out on the opportunity. Once in the air, the balloon quickly ascends, until you realize you are in the hands of Mother Nature and your experienced pilot. Take assurance in the fact that ballooning is the oldest form of human aviation.
Cody is the gateway to Yellowstone National Park, (just 50 miles West), home to the Buffalo Bill Historical Center and the Cody Nite Rodeo. There is much to do in Cody when the balloons are not flying.
Courtesy of Upper Valley Free Press; for further information on this event and other ballooning festivals around the region, visit http://www.greater-yellowstone.com/Cody-WY/balloon.html .