Built in 1879 by the Rock Creek Stage Line, the Blacksmith Shop, now home to the Bozeman Trail Museum, originally satisfied the needs of the nearby Bozeman Trail, connecting southeastern Wyoming to Virgina City, Montana. It had been 1878 when O.P. Hanna decided to build his cabin near a clear creek, in a sheltered meadow with a magnificent view of the Big Horn Mountains. This was to be the first homestead cabin in what is now Sheridan County. By 1881, pioneer families started settling in Big Horn City, a name chose by O.P. Hanna.