Most Active Stories
- When Facts Are Scarce, ER Doctor Turns Detective To Decide On Care
- StoryCorps: CJ Box Talks With His Daughter About Their Favorite Pastime, Fly Fishing
- Superintendent Hill Tries To Return To Dept. Of Ed
- Researchers Map Migration Routes With An Eye To Protecting Wildlife
- Wyoming Man Wins U.S. Supreme Court Case Concerning Rails To Trails
Mon October 15, 2012
Video And Victim Lead To Arrest Of Kidnapping Suspect
A man identified by Montana authorities as 39 year old Jesse Paul Speer has been arrested in connection with the kidnapping of an eleven year old Cody girl last week.
Cody Police Chief Perry Rockvam said at a news conference this (Monday) morning that he is confident they arrested the right man responsible for the abduction. Speer faces charges of kidnapping, aggravated assault and felony use of a weapon.
Rockvam says the victim described in detail where the suspect had taken her and they were able to find and identify the suspect’s vehicle on video that was recorded by a number of area businesses. Rockvam said they then asked Yellowstone officials to see if they had video with the vehicle and its license plate.
"We were targeting a certain vehicle, like I said that was seen in the places that it should have been if he was the abductor. But it was through the help with the Yellowstone National Park Law enforcement that we were able to get a video with the license plate on that vehicle."
Rockvam says it allowed them to find the man and make an arrest. Speer is being held on a 2-million dollar bond.